Helping to deliver electronics in everyday objects
Accelerating product development with state-of-the-art facilities and expert knowledge
CPI helped PragmatIC to accelerate product development, providing open access to CPI’s state-of-the-art facilities and expert knowledge, as well as collaborating on publicly funded R&D projects.
PragmatIC is a world leader in ultra-low cost flexible electronics, enabling the potential for trillions of‘smart objects’ that can engage with consumers and their environments. PragmatIC delivers flexible integrated circuits (FlexICs) that are thinner than a human hair and can be easily embedded into everyday items. PragmatIC’s unique FlexLogIC® fab-in-a-box system allows low capital, high volume and distributed production of FlexICs.
PragmatIC provides the opportunity to add new functionality, as well as extending proven applications such as RFID and NFC, into mass market applications previously prohibited by the cost of traditional silicon ICs. PragmatIC’s novel technology is being adopted by a growing base of global brands across diverse markets, including the retail, pharmaceutical and security sectors.
Founded in 2010, PragmatIC currently employs over 70 staff across two locations in the UK. Headquartered in Cambridge, the company’s production facility is based at CPI’s National Printable Electronics Centre at NETPark, in Sedgefield, County Durham. PragmatIC has a number of investors in the business including Cambridge Innovation Capital, Arm Holdings and Avery Dennison.
An input is what CPI was able to supply and help with.
- Provided open access to CPI’s state-of-the-art facilities
- Shared expert technical and industry knowledge
- Collaborated on publicly funded R&D projects
An output is the result of the work, such as an experimental finding, an actual product or a pilot demonstrator.
- Accelerated PragmatIC’s technology development
- Aided formation of robust production methodology
- Fast tracked pilot production capability
An outcome arises from implementing the outputs, for example, a profit, an investment, providing jobs or delivering societal benefits. Outcomes continue once an innovation has been implemented and deliver benefit every year.
- Enabled rapid growth of PragmatIC’s North East manufacturing team
- Expedited the launch of the FlexLogIC® fab-in-a-box for mass production
- Supported expanding business resource requirements