Creating a next-generation bioimaging molecular probe
Supporting the creation of CPN™ solutions
UK-based SME Stream Bio has worked with CPI to progress their technically challenging project from a lab-based invention to commercialisation.
Originally developed and patented by King’s College London, Stream Bio was founded specifically to commercialise the technology, and to demonstrate the wide-ranging benefits and applications of Conjugated Polymer Nanoparticles (CPNs™) to the life science community.
Stream Bio worked with CPI to combine their forward-thinking attitude and breadth of industry knowledge with the expertise that CPI possess in both science and business. This collaboration has enabled Stream Bio to develop a commercially viable manufacturing process and 4 colours (wavelengths). The main outcome of which is CPN™ solutions for various strands of the life science industry that could positively impact in-vitro R&D, diagnostics and therapeutics.
An input is a unique capability, service or method of support that was provided, such as equipment or expertise.
- Technical Expertise
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment
- Initial investment fully funded via two ERDF programmes
- Input into Innovate UK loan application
- Proof of concept
- Business Development workshops
- Initial process development
An output is the result of the work, such as an experimental finding, an actual product or a pilot demonstrator.
- Development of a new manufacturing process
- Development of a new product
- TRL Progression from 3 to 8
- Loan application for an IUK Innovation Loan
An outcome arises from implementing the outputs, for example, a profit, an investment, providing jobs or delivering societal benefits. Outcomes continue once an innovation has been implemented and deliver benefit every year.
- Commercialisation of four fluorescent coloured markers to market
- Winner of an Institute of Physics, (IOP) 2018 Business Start Up and Innovation Award
- Nominated for RSC Emerging Technology Award
- Supply agreements in place with five Distributors covering the UK and Europe
- Successful application and Award of an Innovate UK Loan within the 2018 Manufacturing & Materials Competition to expand Stream Bio’s product portfolio