Developing a natural nitrogen-fixation technology for agriculture
Enabling naturally sustainable farming without nitrogen pollution
Nottingham based SME Azotic Technologies worked with CPI to develop and scale its technology from proof-of-concept to a commercial product, enabling market entry in the US in Spring 2019.
Azotic Technologies Ltd was established to commercialise a natural nitrogen-fixation technology that provides a solution to the overuse of chemical nitrogen fertiliser. Azotic’s technology was developed by Professor Edward Cocking, a leading expert on the biology of nitrogen-fixation, from Nottingham University.
Azotic worked with CPI to improve productivity, scale the process and deliver multi-ton manufacture.
An input is a unique capability, service or method of support that was provided, such as equipment or expertise.
- Access to expertise for process development and scale-up
- Access to production operations and infrastructure
An output is the result of the work, such as an experimental finding, an actual product or a pilot demonstrator.
- TRL progression from 4 to 8
- Enhanced process robustness and productivity
- Supply of product for trials and commercialisation
An outcome arises from implementing the outputs, for example, a profit, an investment, providing jobs or delivering societal benefits. Outcomes continue once an innovation has been implemented and deliver benefit every year.
- Scaled production capacity
- Roll-out of Azotic’s N‑Fix technology across global markets