Strengthening e‑bike frames using graphene
Accelerating product development with state-of-the-art facilities and expert knowledge
UK-based start-up, Evari Bikes Ltd, has worked with CPI to innovate the design and build of its high-end e‑bikes with the aim of accelerating the route towards commercialisation. Evari Bikes builds high-quality composite e‑bikes for the commuter market with a focus on strong, lightweight frames that minimise the wear and tear associated with the rapid speeds that e‑bikes are capable of.
Evari Bikes worked with CPI to strengthen their frames using graphene. CPI carried out the proof-of-concept to embed it into the carbon fibre resin of the frames, helping Evari Bikes to push this towards commercialisation. Furthermore, Evari Bikes has the desire to incorporate strain gauges into e‑bike frames as a proactive health and safety measure so that users can monitor their frame’s integrity. To this end, CPI has worked on a feasibility study of screen-printed strain gauges embedded in the bike frame.
An input is a unique capability, service or method of support that was provided, such as equipment or expertise.
- Technical expertise
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment
- Securing funding via ERDF and LEP programmes
- Materials testing
An output is the result of the work, such as an experimental finding, an actual product or a pilot demonstrator.
- Graphene formulation testing
- Small-scale impact testing on graphene-impregnated carbon fibre epoxy resin
- Feasibility study on screen-printed strain gauges
An outcome arises from implementing the outputs, for example, a profit, an investment, providing jobs or delivering societal benefits. Outcomes continue once an innovation has been implemented and deliver benefit every year.
- Graphene successfully incorporated into bike frame to increase its strength
- Feasibility study demonstrated the potential measurement of strain from an embedded gauge, and identified areas where further development work is required