Lighting the way for Medtech
Support to accelerate your medical device development
Lighting the way from innovation to commercialisation
Photonics continues to revolutionise the healthcare industry, enabling novel treatment methods, more personalised care and faster, more accurate diagnoses to address the major healthcare challenges faced today.
Are you working on innovative medical device solutions for adoption by the healthcare community that will benefit patients? Do you need assistance in the development of your new technologies? We provide specialist expertise and equipment to enable you to realise your device prototypes, test, and scale-up to manufacturing production.
CPI has a wealth of expertise in innovation for photonics technology and the healthcare market to share with ambitious companies.
The future is bright in photonics
Trends in the Medtech market are changing to meet the requirement for more personalised and less invasive care, moving away from hospital-based services. New approaches in imaging, diagnostics therapies using photonics are helping to meet these challenges.
We can help you to develop your new photonics-enabled technology to enable your business meet these challenges and stay ahead of market trends. We understand the particular requirements and regulations of the medtech market and have the experience and tools to accelerate your innovation to create products optimising adoption by healthcare providers, providing great improvements to patient care.
Medical device and In-vitro diagnostic devices from bedside to pathology lab.
Advanced imaging techniques for assistance in clinical procedures and diagnostics.
Photonics-based therapies for targeted disease treatment.
How do we make this possible?
In a unique combination of bio-labs and instrument development facilities, companies can immerse themselves in this dedicated medtech development environment with a multidisciplinary community of technical and commercial innovation specialists.
The National Healthcare Photonics Centre is the cornerstone of our medtech capability. Companies can work alongside CPI staff in state-of-the-art laboratories for optics, imaging, design, printing, manufacture and sampling. From this flexible facility, clients can take up a number of services, including office space to be based within the new centre.
Quality is assured — we are working towards EN ISO 13485, the quality management system required for medical devices, in order produce high quality, compliant products. We work with us on:
- CAD design and modelling and prototyping
- Electronic design, PCB development and manufacturing
- Additive manufacturing/3D printing
- Optical system design and development
Test and validation
For pre-clinical validation, we have bio-lab and optical facilities for:
- Optical characterisation techniques using advanced confocal microscopy, able to image cells through the volume of medical samples and produce high-resolution high-contrast 3D models of the samples. Optical laboratories are each laser-safe to Class 4 and equipped with an optical table.
- X-ray imaging for testing and development in a controlled lead-lined radiation suite.
- Validation using liquid radioisotopes.
- Electronic test and patient simulators for verification and validation.
Analysis and characterisation
Our advanced analytical capability provides access to:
- Image analysis and digital healthcare system interaction
- Microscopic fluorescence imaging, high speed spectroscopy, fluorescence lifetime and fluorescence intensity characterisation