Apprentice ScientistApply Now
CPI helps make great ideas and inventions a reality. We’re a team of intelligent people using advances in science and technology to solve the biggest global challenges in healthcare and sustainability.
Through our incredible people and innovation infrastructure, we collaborate with our partners in industry, academia, government, and the investment community to accelerate the development and commercialisation of innovative products.
From health technologies and pharmaceuticals to sustainable food and materials innovations, we turn the entrepreneurial spirit and radical thinking of our people and partners into incredible impact that makes our world a better place.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
CPI are offering an exciting opportunity to be part of our science apprenticeship programme. The role is designed to equip you with the skills you need to tackle a variety of scientific challenges alongside working with state-of-the-art facilities, with the industry’s leading scientists, engineers, and commercialisation specialists.
Based at the National Industrial Biotechnology Facility in the Wilton Centre, Redcar, you will be responsible for supporting laboratory and scale-up operations in the Down-Stream Processing (DSP) team. Your role will enable fellow DSP scientists to focus on the design and technical delivery of projects.
Some exciting projects the team have worked on are:
You can also get a feel for what life is like as an Apprentice at CPI by watching the short YouTube video below from Lara, one of our current apprentices at the National Industrial Biotechnology centre:
Key tasks in the Apprentice Scientist role will include (but are not limited to the below), please download the job description for full details available on the CPI careers page:
- To prepare for and perform laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures, and methods of relevance to the activities of the laboratory with bioengineering focus.
- To work autonomously to analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific data and present the results of laboratory work and problem solving clearly and concisely in written and oral form.
- To support the biotechnology laboratory suites and equipment within the National Industrial Biotechnology facility.
- To participate with production manufacturing operations on site.
What will this apprenticeship offer me?
We are offering the opportunity to study as a Laboratory Scientist Apprentice where you will develop professional-level, job specific skills while studying towards your degree and earning a salary. Incorporated into this is our Professional Skills Development Programme, giving you the opportunity to work alongside others within CPI towards achieving specific targets on a social action project.
By the end of the programme, you will achieve a recognised degree and a Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship Certificate.
To be eligible for our degree level apprenticeship programme you will need:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs grade 9 – 4 (equivalent to A*-C), including English Language, Mathematics and a Scientific Subject.
- Must hold or be predicted to achieve 3 A‑levels (or equivalent e.g. BTEC National Certificate or level 3 apprenticeship), one of which must be in a scientific subject.
The person we are seeking
We are looking for a self-motivated and reliable individual who can organise workload to meet both departmental objectives and learning outcomes. To be successful in this role, you will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be able to manage time effectively.
It is important that you can take responsibility for personal development, demonstrating commitment to learning and self-improvement. You will also have experience of IT packages, in particular Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Experience working within a laboratory environment in a multi-disciplinary team is an advantage.
Ideally suited to those who want to combine Biological Sciences/Biochemistry with engineering.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 36 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
Fixed Term (for up to five years)
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.