(Senior) Research Scientist/Engineer — Complex ParticlesApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
CPI’s National Formulation Centre are seeking to recruit an individual, at either Research Scientist/Engineer or Senior Research Scientist/Engineer level. As a (Senior) Research Scientist/Engineer – Complex Particles, you will be responsible for providing technical expertise to CPI’s complex particles team and contributing to the successful delivery of commercial and collaborative R&D projects. In this role, you will be responsible for managing and developing key aspects of CPI’s Powders capability such as granulation, tabletting and characterisation.
Main duties of the role:
- To be responsible for the operation, maintenance and development of powder handling, characterisation, granulation and tabletting capabilities
- To set up, plan and execute experimental / pilot scale runs and analyse, interpret and report the results of these, translating obtained findings and knowledge.
- To identify new technical developments and trends, translate these into building blocks for opportunities within the business unit, initiating the creation of (new) technological innovations/applications.
- To utilise own expert knowledge to assist in translating business unit strategy into practice through the delivery of plans to achieve business unit objectives.
- To build, maintain and exploit a network of relevant external stakeholders, customers, partners, research organisations and authorities, to represent the business unit as a credible specialist in networks, identifying opportunity for future projects and developments.
- To keep self up to date with external developments in areas of specialism, and/or legislative and SHE related changes, ensuring application of new best practice and/or knowledge.
- To work collaboratively with Business Development, Bid Proposal and technical colleagues to contribute to proposal / project development and direct customer engagement. Engage in business development opportunities where appropriate.
- To formulate and present possible solution directions and issue advice upon request or at own initiative, beginning to build an internal reputation as a reliable and credible source.
- To be responsible for providing clearly documented records of technical data, decisions, methodologies, calculations and software use in an agreed format.
- To take ownership in agreeing weekly workplans with line manager, project manager(s) and other relevant stakeholders, and delivering plan to agreed schedule.
The person we are seeking
We are looking for someone to provide high-level technical and practical expertise to CPIs Complex Particles team to deliver large scale / complex projects and develop business-unit level knowledge and practice. It is essential you are experienced in the processing, handling, characterisation and scale-up of powdered materials and have experience and aptitude for practical, laboratory and pilot-plant based work gained in academic or industrial environments. You must also have experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams and working safely in a R&D laboratory/Pilot plant environment.
The successful candidate should have at least one of the following in a relevant, science or engineering discipline: Educated to HNC or Foundation Degree level (or equivalent) plus significant and in-depth industrial experience at an expert level. Or educated to Degree level (or equivalent) plus significant industrial experience at an expert level. Or educated to Master’s Degree level (or equivalent) plus significant industrial experience at a very senior level. Or educated to PhD level (or equivalent) plus significant industrial experience at a senior level.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
All applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK at the time of application. Presentation of appropriate original documents will be required.