Senior Legal CounselApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
As Senior Legal Counsel, you will be responsible for providing a wide range of advanced in-house legal support to the CPI Group of Companies. You will be required to guide on intellectual property matters (of any nature) within the Group, including co-ordinating and liaising with external legal support where necessary. Within this role, you will also provide day to day supervision for junior members of the legal team and will be delivering legal training to employees across the organisation on confidentiality, intellectual property, contractual matters and any other areas of law where required.
This position reports to the Deputy General Counsel, and the job holder’s services will be provided company-wide across the whole CPI Group. The job role covers all legal activities in support of the company and its group’s full range of trading and other activities. The jobholder will, as part of the legal team, provide legal advice and support across a range of areas of law set out in the key responsibilities above. They will support their solicitor colleagues and the Head of Legal in whatever legal tasks are required from time to time and will provide legal advice to internal clients at all levels within the business.
Transactions may range from thousands of pounds up to several million pounds. It is expected that the job-holder will on average have a workload of 40 to 50 active matters at any time, although this will vary depending on the needs of the business.
Further duties of the role include:
· To advise on complex commercial contracting matters (of any nature) within the Group, including where necessary co-ordinating and liaising with external legal support from the Group’s panel.
· To advise on property matters (contentious and non-contentious) within the Group, including where necessary co-ordinating and liaising with external legal support from the Group’s panel on large transactions.
· To progressively provide supporting day-to-day intellectual property, commercial and contract law advice, mainly assisting internal clients in relation to confidentiality agreements, standard contractual terms, and on bespoke advanced transactional agreements including funding agreements, collaboration agreements, contractual joint ventures and complex sales agreements.
· To deliver legal training to Group staff on confidentiality, intellectual property, contractual matters and any other areas of law where required.
· To take direction and support from the Head of Legal on all matters that the Head of Legal decides require supervision or where there are intervening commercial interests.
· To provide day to day feedback and supervision to the Legal Counsel and Trainee Solicitor, ensuring a high level of legal service to the CPI Group.
The person we are seeking
We are looking for an experienced candidate who has previous experience of working in a commercial law firm, or within industry as in-house lawyer. The candidate should have experience of supervising other lawyers and be able to provide timely, constructive feedback. It’s essential that candidates have previous experience and knowledge in dealing with intellectual property matters handled creatively in a business environment. You must also be a qualified solicitor with a current Practising Certificate.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
All applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK at the time of application. Presentation of appropriate original documents will be required.