Placement Student — Software EngineerApply Now
CPI helps make great ideas and inventions a reality. We’re a team of intelligent people using advances in science and technology to solve the biggest global challenges in healthcare and sustainability.
Through our incredible people and innovation infrastructure, we collaborate with our partners in industry, academia, government, and the investment community to accelerate the development and commercialisation of innovative products.
From health technologies and pharmaceuticals to sustainable food and materials innovations, we turn the entrepreneurial spirit and radical thinking of our people and partners into incredible impact that makes our world a better place.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
The software team are seeking an enthusiastic embedded electronics (or equivalent discipline) engineering student who shows an interest in a wide variety of subjects related to embedded systems design and development (including hardware, but primarily firmware and software), as well as a passion for learning new things. The role will be based within CPI’s Photonics & Electronics technology team, based at NETPark, Sedgefield.
The placement student will be working across a wide range of projects, through which they will get to work alongside a variety of other engineers and scientists with a diverse range of specialities, including electronics, mechanical and product design, process engineering, materials science, physics, and biochemistry.
Potential projects would typically involve:
- Delivery of prototype electronic devices, following the product development cycle (specification, design, implementation, integration, testing, documentation, support).
- Gaining experience in embedded systems design, including hardware, firmware (C/C++, RTOS, Cortex‑M, BLE), software (C#/Java), and integration.
- Gaining an in-depth understanding of the product development process, and the key aspects involved in developing regulated products such as electronic devices.
- Design, development, and implementation of new and innovative internal processes, as well as the continuous improvement of existing processes, allowing the electronics team to both (a) expand into, and be competitive in, new markets, and (b) improve its offering to its current and future clients.
The person we are seeking
The ideal candidate will be studying towards a degree in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, Embedded Systems, or a related field, with some experience in software engineering (including computer programming and embedded systems programming) and electronics/mechanical design.
The ideal candidate will be committed to, and actively seek out, opportunities to develop themselves within these new and exciting roles.
This position would suit students whose course includes a sandwich year in industry, or those able to take a placement opportunity in industry between academic years.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 36 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.