Grand Challenge LeadApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
A new and exciting opportunity has arisen at CPI for a Grand Challenge Lead to be based at our MMIC site in Glasgow. As the Grand Challenge Lead, you will be responsible for leading one or potentially more Medicines Manufacturing ‘grand challenges’ to deliver relevant parts of the strategy. In doing this, you will be working very closely with the Medicines Manufacturing team to scope the overall technology strategy. The initial activities will include to agree the high-level technical scope, define the business case and attract partners for grand challenges. You will then establish and lead the team to plan and deliver the project safely and successfully, including definition of organisational structure / work packages / key milestones / project plan / phased budget, performance tracking and communication with key stakeholders.
Main duties of the role include:
Leadership and Management
- Create and lead a team to successfully deliver the outcomes of the grand challenge(s), translating ideas and concepts into commercial value offerings.
- Champion and ensure documented compliance with agreed SHE, quality and best practice requirements.
- Strategically plan project asset and resource requirements effectively to deliver projects to time and budget, comply with agreed project reporting framework and escalate issues and risks in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain an effective communications framework which ensures that there is open dialogue across Medicines Manufacturing and the grand challenge partners which provides regular feedback on project performance and an effective decision-making framework, highlights key risks and ensures the right level of engagement from all stakeholders.
- Ensure effective knowledge management including clearly documented records of technical data, decisions, methodologies, calculations and software use in an agreed format.
- Contribute expert knowledge to inform MMIC’s technology strategy and translate this into deliverable plans for future grand challenges and attracting new partners, to achieve business objectives.
- Provide coaching, feedback and development advice to direct reports and grand challenge team members to ensure effective delivery now and in the future.
- Work collaboratively with Business Development and technical colleagues to identify and assess both the technical and commercial aspects of new business opportunities.
- Build and influence a value adding network of relevant external stakeholders. To represent the business unit and self as a credible expert, identifying opportunity for future projects and developments.
- Represent Medicines Manufacturing in industrial and academic forums to ensure visibility of the grand challenges and the Medicines Manufacturing/CPI brand.
The person we are seeking
The successful candidate should have at least one of the following in a relevant, science or engineering discipline: HNC / Foundation degree plus significant and in-depth industrial experience of operating at an expert level OR Degree level qualification plus significant experience of operating at an expert level OR Master plus significant and in-depth experience of operating at an expert level OR a PhD /CEng / FIChemE plus experience of operating at an expert level.
It is essential that you possess significant technical expertise and have project management and leadership skills, and an ability to solve complex technical problems. You should also have deep experience of exploiting, generating and breaking new ground in area of expertise. You should be able to demonstrate evidence of building cross-industry and organisational knowledge sharing and network building and be practiced in taking responsibility for diverse or complex technical activities where it is necessary to use own initiative and judgement, implementing innovative solutions in business-critical situations. It is also desirable for you to be an active member of a professional body and be externally recognised in your field through publications and/or conference presentations.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
All applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK at the time of application. Presentation of appropriate original documents will be required.