Business Unit Director — BiotechnologyApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
You will be responsible for developing and leading CPI’s Biotechnology Business Unit as an open-access innovation centre for customers and partners seeking innovation solutions to address the Net Zero, Clean Growth and Healthy Aging Grand Challenges, while championing the CPI brand both externally and internally.
- To create and maintain a safe working environment by championing and ensuring compliance with agreed SHE and Quality standards, identifying and implementing continuous improvement to SHE and Quality standards and maintaining the agreed level of Food and Feed Safety compliance and managing this interface with industrial partners.
- To provide strategic leadership to the Biotechnology team, ensuring accountability for achieving business objectives.
- To develop both depth and breadth of scientific, operation and engineering skills in the field of biotechnology to meet current strategic challenges, increasing productivity, improving quality and enabling an atmosphere of continuous improvement and pushing the State of the Art.
- To develop a strong customer focus culture within the business unit in order to build high quality, collaborative relationships based on openness and trust.
- To build and maintain a dynamic stakeholder map and collaborate effectively to create strong relationships, sector capability and value.
For more details of the role and the associated responsibilities, please refer to the job description.
The person we are seeking
We are looking for an individual who:
- Has substantial experience of leading and developing a team, providing strategic direction and objective setting.
- Commercial acumen and a sound understanding of the financial dimensions of running a business.
- Is an experienced agent of managing complex change and business transformation programmes to successful implementation.
- Demonstrates a substantial track record of creating and delivering new ventures through building energy behind an opportunity and purpose.
- Demonstrates evidence of building cross-industry knowledge sharing networks to apply best practice.
- Can demonstrate evidence-based technology business management experience delivering high-quality outcomes.
- Is educated to Degree level or equivalent in a discipline of relevance to the role.
- It would be advantageous to have technical expertise and knowledge built through experience in an applied research environment.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
All applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK at the time of application. Presentation of appropriate original documents will be required.