Senior Scientist – Downstream ProcessingApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
As the Senior Scientist in Downstream Processing you will be responsible for providing technical expertise and input in order to contribute to the delivery and realisation of projects, acting as technical lead in small and medium scale projects, and projects of some complexity. You will draw upon a range of technical know-how to provide carefully thought-through advice and expertise to a range of stakeholders across the organisation. The Senior is viewed as a specialist in their area of discipline, offering innovative solutions at business-unit level, contributing to development and improvement activities.
- To design, lead and perform experiments to develop, optimise and ultimately scale-up recovery and separation processes for the manufacture of a variety of bio-based products.
- Development, optimisation, scale-up and characterisation of primary recovery/separation-based processing methods such as centrifugation, cell disruption, extraction, evaporation, drying and filtration.
- Development, optimisation, scale-up and characterisation of isolation-based processing methods such as chromatography and tangential flow filtration techniques.
- Development and optimisation of formulations of live cells and extracts for applications in the agritech sector
- To be the primary technical contact with clients & third parties, using customer management skills to build excellent working relationships.
- To be the technical manager of collaborative research and development and/or commercial projects, co-ordinating the activities of the assigned team.
The person we are seeking
- Be educated to Degree level (or equivalent) in a Scientific or Engineering discipline plus have significant experience.
- To have theoretical and practical knowledge in Biochemistry, Biological Separation/Purification, Biochemical Engineering and relevant analytical techniques.
- Due to the varied nature of projects at CPI, experience of working in one or more of the following biotechnology sectors is essential: food & feed, agritech, healthcare & biopharmaceuticals.
- Understanding the biochemistry across a range of different biological products including proteins, lipids, carbohydrates & platform biochemicals.
- Application of techniques for the analysis of these biological products
- Experience of downstream processing unit operations at lab and pilot/demonstration scale.
- Understanding and application of experimental design and statistical concepts to experimental work.
- Independent planning, execution, and interpretation of complex laboratory experiments.
- Document writing, data interpretation, presentation, statistical analysis and trending.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
All applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK at the time of application. Presentation of appropriate original documents will be required.
Apply for the Job
Not what you are looking for? View all jobs.
Applying takes 3 simple steps. We don’t anticipate any issues but if you have any please email email@example.com