Upstream Fermentation ScientistApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
In a period of significant growth, we are seeking an ambitious and highly motivated fermentation scientist to work with our clients and partners to develop processes and manufacturing solutions for their microbially expressed products. The purpose of the role is to contribute to the research, design, development and optimisation of novel upstream processes for biopharmaceutical production. Whilst working at CPI you will be developing expertise with an ever-expanding range of conventional and novel product types including proteins, viral-like particles and nucleic-acids expressed in microbial systems, with the opportunity also to work with mammalian and/or cell free systems.
Duties of the role may include:
- To contribute to/lead the delivery of collaborative and commercial projects including experimental design and execution
- To focus on the design, development and scale up of microbial (primarily E. Coli and yeast) upstream processes from bench to pilot scale including high-throughput method development
- Supporting transfer and establishment of processes into and out of the facility
- The operation of reusable (glass and SIP) or single use bioreactors for microbial fermentations and mammalian cell culture
- Performing in-process and end point analysis of process derived material
- Working to cGMP standards and maintaining documentation in compliance with HSE guidelines
- Documentation writing, data interpretation and statistical analysis
For full details of the role, and the associated responsibilities please refer to the Job Descriptions.
The person we are seeking
We are looking to recruit a fermentation scientist on a permanent basis to join the upstream team. We are looking for individuals who may have experience in the following areas:
- Experience in microbial process development, preferably for the manufacture of biopharmaceuticals
- Experience with technical leadership of projects
- Familiarity with small scale microbial culture, transformation and purity assessment
- Experience in the operation of fermenters (eg. Sartorius, Infors, Applikon etc)
- Experience using high-throughput systems (ambr15 and/or ambr250) would be desirable
- Experience of minimal media development and exponential feeding strategies would be advantageous
- Analytical methods for titre analysis e.g. SDS-PAGE, ELISA and qPCR
- cGMP experience in a bio/pharmaceutical manufacturing or R&D setting
For more details about the requirements and expectations, please refer to the Job Descriptions.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
All applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK at the time of application. Presentation of appropriate original documents will be required.
Apply for the Job
Not what you are looking for? View all jobs.
Applying takes 3 simple steps. We don’t anticipate any issues but if you have any please email firstname.lastname@example.org