Senior Scientist – Fermentation (Food & Feed)Apply Now
CPI helps make great ideas and inventions a reality. We’re a team of intelligent people using advances in science and technology to solve the biggest global challenges in healthcare and sustainability.
Through our incredible people and innovation infrastructure, we collaborate with our partners in industry, academia, government, and the investment community to accelerate the development and commercialisation of innovative products.
From health technologies and pharmaceuticals to sustainable food and materials innovations, we turn the entrepreneurial spirit and radical thinking of our people and partners into incredible impact that makes our world a better place.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
CPI has an opportunity for a Senior Scientist to join the established and growing Fermentation team. Based at Wilton Centre, Redcar the team is focused on the delivery of projects aimed at and in collaboration with clients and partners in the food, feed and agritech sector.
This is a fantastic opportunity to provide Fermentation expertise, collaborating with colleagues across multi-disciplinary teams of microbiologists, strain engineers, process engineers, process analytical and quality management. In this role you provide Fermentation leadership to ensure that products from food and feed processes can be delivered safely and compliantly, acting as the technical lead in the timely delivery and realisation of a variety of projects, (small and medium scale projects, and projects of some complexity).
Some exciting projects the team have recently worked on are:
Key tasks in the role will include (but are not limited to) the below:
- To develop scalable fermentation processes at lab-scale, from less than 1 L to over 50 L, working with a variety of flask and bioreactor systems, including autoclavable glass, steam-in-place, and automated microbioreactor systems.
- To be able to provide technical assistance to colleagues transferring fermentation processes to up to 10,000 L scale.
- To work closely with commercial clients to de-risk the scale-up of fermentation-based processes.
- To support the process development and scale-up of bio-product recovery and purification operations from laboratory to plant scale.
- To set-up, operate and monitor microbial fermentation processes under batch, fed-batch and continuous conditions following predefined protocols.
- To work in partnership with colleagues to modify or reconfigure bioreactor vessels and associated equipment to define the process parameters necessary to achieve optimal production conditions.
- To support the routine maintenance of fermenters, identifying and escalating issues which may impact their performance and availability.
- To use design of experiments (DOE) methods to study the effect of multiple variables on fermentation performance and the effects of interactions between variables.
- To be responsible for providing clearly documented records of technical data, decisions, methodologies, calculations, and software use in an agreed format.
- To support internal and external customers as required identifying and understanding their needs and contributing to the design and delivery of agreed outcomes within agreed timescales.
- To work closely with business development and project delivery teams in order to understand, interpret and communicate customer needs to plant operations teams.
The person we are seeking
To be successful, it is essential that you are either educated in a Scientific/Engineering discipline to HNC or Foundation Degree level (or equivalent) with relevant fermentation industrial experience at a senior technical level, educated to degree level (or equivalent) with significant fermentation industrial experience, educated to Master’s Degree level (or equivalent) in the same field plus relevant fermentation industrial experience, or educated to PhD level (or equivalent) where the major part of the experimental work personally undertaken was fermentation.
It would be great if you also had a food hygiene qualification, and/or a HACCP Qualification. You should also:
- Possess significant, technical expertise in fermentation as well as a compelling evidence of complex, technical problem solving.
- Exhibit professional mastery of principles and practices in fermentation gained through career to date in area of specialism.
- Be able to demonstrate evidence of building knowledge sharing and network building practice across teams.
- Be able to actively demonstrate in-depth technical and theoretical knowledge in at least one area and is viewed as a specialist in this area by peers: (1) Fed-batch fermentation; (2) continuous fermentation; or (3) precision-fermentation.
- Be able to provide examples of actively building cross-team and business area collaboration to achieve desired results.
Actively participate in diverse or complex technical activities where it is necessary to use own initiative and judgement.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 36 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.