Research Scientist – Battery Materials and AutomationApply Now
CPI helps make great ideas and inventions a reality. We’re a team of intelligent people using advances in science and technology to solve the biggest global challenges in healthcare and sustainability.
Through our incredible people and innovation infrastructure, we collaborate with our partners in industry, academia, government, and the investment community to accelerate the development and commercialisation of innovative products.
From health technologies and pharmaceuticals to sustainable food and materials innovations, we turn the entrepreneurial spirit and radical thinking of our people and partners into incredible impact that makes our world a better place.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
CPI has an opportunity for a Research Scientist – Battery Materials and Automation who will join the Formulation business unit’s established Nanomaterials and Composites team, based at NETPark, Sedgefield.
The Nanomaterials and Composites team win and deliver a broad range of commercial and collaborative R&D projects in the area of battery materials, nanomaterials, composites, coatings, inks, materials science and formulation science.
Reporting to the Team Manager, you will contribute to the delivery of projects in Battery Materials and Automation, through preparation, development, research, design, testing and analysis work in line with team and business unit requirements. You will support the technical lead by working on small to large scale projects ranging from initial proof of concept projects, lasting only a few days, to multi-year projects/programs.
As well as hands-on (non-automated) new battery materials development, formulation and testing, a significant component of this role will involve supporting the tech. transfer of similar activities to our in-house automated/robotic platforms for high-throughput formulation/materials characterisation.
Please use the below links to view some projects the team have delivered:
Next-generation battery technology
Key tasks in the Research Scientist role will include (but are not limited to the below), please download the job description for full details available on the CPI careers page:
- To offer technical support to the planning and scoping of new automation platforms for the production and characterisation of Battery materials formulations in line with the business strategy.
- To offer technical support/lead the delivery of Battery Material experimental programmes of work on automation platforms and high throughput equipment.
- To offer technical support in writing and optimising workflows for automation project work and review them.
The person we are seeking
To be successful in this role, you will have the following:
- Be educated to HNC or Foundation Degree level (or equivalent) in a Scientific/Engineering discipline plus relevant industrial experience; Or
- Educated to Degree level (or equivalent) in a Scientific/Engineering discipline.
- A foundation of technical knowledge and some underpinning knowledge in Battery Materials, as well as evidence of technical problem solving.
- Have professional knowledge of principles and practices in Battery Materials, as well as experience of practical, technical-based work gained in academic or industrial environments.
- Ability to apply limited theoretical and practical scientific/engineering methods to contribute to business activities.
It would be great if you also:
- Can exhibit understanding of principles and practices of automation for the production/characterisation of formulations (ideally as pertaining to battery materials/formulations).
- Have an understanding of / are skilled in experimental planning and optimisation using design of experiments.
- Have an understanding of / are skilled in data acquisition and analysis; use of statistics, management of large data sets, and effective data logging systems.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 36 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.