Scientist — DownstreamApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
CPI is seeking to recruit a Scientist to support the downstream processing activities relating to the development of manufacturing processes for novel biopharmaceuticals including recombinant proteins, viral vectors, antibody drug conjugates and nanomedicines. The main focus of which is in the area of downstream processing, including research and development of purification strategies, process refinement and characterisation, and the analysis associated with these activities in line with team and business unit requirements. Additional responsibilities will relate to the development and evaluation of innovative processing technologies such as continuous downstream processing and crystallisation to enable the manufacture of tomorrow’s biologics.
You will work using your own initiative and with some technical supervision from your manager and senior colleagues.
Duties of the role will include:
- To work collaboratively with other downstream scientists as well as upstream and analytical scientists to develop manufacturing processes for novel biopharmaceutical products.
- To design experiments to develop and optimise robust primary recovery (including depth filtration, centrifugation, homogenisation, and precipitation) and purification processes (including chromatography, UF/DF) for the manufacture of novel biopharmaceutical products.
- To lead the execution of process development experiments, and subsequent sample analysis and data analysis.
- To develop process models to aid the development and optimisation of downstream unit operations.
- To assist or manage the scale up of downstream processes (up to pilot scale) to provide proof of successful process development/optimisation.
- To stay abreast of the current state of the art in downstream processing and take ownership for introducing new technologies into CPI.
- To build and maintain a network of relevant internal stakeholders, to represent self and the wider team as a credible professional in networks and groups.
The person we are seeking
The successful candidate will be looking for a uniquely challenging and varied role with the scope to make a real impact in this exiting and growing industry. Candidates will be educated to HNC or Foundation Degree level (or equivalent) in a Scientific/Engineering discipline plus significant industrial experience. It is essential the successful candidate has relevant experience relating to development and scale up of chromatography processes. It is desirable that the successful candidate has experience with applying Design-of-Experiments methods to downstream process development and developing statistical and/or mechanistic process models.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, including: family friendly policies, flexible holidays and holiday purchasing schemes, opportunities for learning and development, generous pension plan, life assurance and accident insurance schemes.
All applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK at the time of application. Presentation of appropriate original documents will be required.
Apply for the Job
Not what you are looking for? View all jobs.
Applying takes 3 simple steps. We don’t anticipate any issues but if you have any please email email@example.com