Legal CounselApply Now
CPI helps make great ideas and inventions a reality. We’re a team of intelligent people using advances in science and technology to solve the biggest global challenges in healthcare and sustainability.
Through our incredible people and innovation infrastructure, we collaborate with our partners in industry, academia, government, and the investment community to accelerate the development and commercialisation of innovative products.
From health technologies and pharmaceuticals to sustainable food and materials innovations, we turn the entrepreneurial spirit and radical thinking of our people and partners into incredible impact that makes our world a better place.
We’re embracing hybrid working to build a happier, more productive, and environmentally conscious workplace. Discover more about our new flexible working approach.Read more
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
As Legal Counsel you will join a well respected team who provide in house legal support to the CPI Group of Companies. This is an exciting opportunity for you to work with a friendly and pragmatic Legal Team on a wide variety of legal matters such as commercial agreements, confidentiality agreements, intellectual property, employment advice and construction and property advice. Transactions may be complex and can range from thousands of pounds up to several million pounds.
The Legal Counsel will report to one of the Legal Team’s Senior Legal Counsel and will support their colleagues and the Head of Legal in whatever legal tasks are required from time to time, and will provide legal advice to internal clients at all levels within the business.
This is fast paced role where you will be able to take ownership for your own matters where appropriate with the ability to call upon more senior members of the team for assistance where you require it. Key tasks in the role will include (but are not limited) to the below:
- Advising on corporate and commercial matters, including co-ordinating and liaising with external legal support from the Group’s panel on very complex matters.
- Providing contract law and intellectual property advice, including advising on terms and conditions, and assisting internal clients as one of the main legal points of contact for the extensive range of NDAs put in place across the business monthly.
- Assisting in dealing with general commercial contracting matters, as requested.
- Assisting in relation to any disputes relating to a breach of contract with staff, customers, partners, or third parties.
- Assisting the Legal Team in providing legal advice to the HR and Procurement teams.
- Assisting with providing legal training to CPI Group staff on legal matters.
We are fortunate to deal with a very broad variety of work. We don’t expect the successful candidate to have experience in every area. We are looking for someone with a can do attitude and enough commercial legal experience to be able to deal with matters confidently but also know when to ask a colleague for guidance.
The person we are seeking
We are looking for a candidate who has previous experience of working in a commercial law firm or within industry as an in-house lawyer. It is essential you have knowledge of basic commercial contracts, preferably with an intellectual property context and have a track record of providing pragmatic, commercial advice. The successful candidate will be educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a business related or legal discipline and must either be chartered legal executive or a qualified solicitor in England and Wales with a current Practising Certificate.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 36 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.