In-house Legal CounselApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
CPI has a fantastic opportunity for an outstanding Legal Counsel to join a highly respected and technically strong legal team within an organisation that is undergoing a period of sustained expansion. At CPI you will be working with an organisation at the forefront of UK innovation; helping companies to develop, prove and commercialise the next generation of high-tech products. Across multiple sites in the North East and Scotland, CPI is working towards the vision of a healthier society, a cleaner environment and a vibrant UK economy. You will be joining a supportive and social team; acting as a trusted business partner to the organisation and giving creative, commercially focused advice to support CPI in driving forward its vision. This is an interesting and varied role where no two days are the same. Working across the CPI sites is encouraged.
Duties of the role include:
• Advising on corporate and commercial matters, including co-ordinating and liaising with external legal support from the Group’s panel on very complex matters.
• Providing advice and guidance to the business on regulatory issues.
• Negotiating terms and conditions, complex commercial contracts and multiparty collaboration agreements.
• Assisting internal clients as one of the main legal points of contact for the extensive range of contractual agreements put in place across the business.
• Assisting with any disputes with staff, customers, partners, or third parties.
• Advising on intellectual property matters and ensuring CPI’s freedom to operate going forward.
• Providing creative and strategic legal advice across the full range of business activity where legal input (of all types) is required, including in relation to State aid, property, construction and employment matters.
The person we are seeking
• Be an outstanding solicitor with a commercial law firm or in-house background.
• Balance intellectual rigour with the mental agility and resilience to deliver outstanding legal advice across a diverse range of matters.
• Have a core legal specialism with a business focus, and also be comfortable assisting with (or learning to assist with) contracting and intellectual property matters.
• Want to break out of narrowly focused practice into a dynamic and varied role.
• Want to be part of a dedicated and highly supportive team delivering the highest quality professional work in the research / technology sector.
• Want to grow and develop your commercial skills in a live business environment.
• Want a diverse and interesting case load which changes daily.
• Want to learn new skills and share your own expertise in an environment of mutual support and learning.
• Thrive on change and take opportunities. This is no ordinary in house lawyer position.
We are looking for the right candidate who can bring a complementary new legal skill set to our team. We have recently recruited litigation and employment experts into the team from international law firms. In building a multi-disciplinary full service legal team, we are looking to further supplement our core intellectual property and commercial expertise, and would be particularly interested to hear from lawyers from a regulatory, corporate, commercial, public procurement or State aid background.
This role would particularly suit lawyers with in the region of 4 years PQE, however all applicants who can demonstrate the skills and experience for the role are encouraged to apply.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, including: family friendly policies, flexible holidays and holiday purchasing schemes, opportunities for learning and development, generous pension plan, life assurance and accident insurance schemes.
All applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK at the time of application. Presentation of appropriate original documents will be required.
Apply for the Job
Not what you are looking for? View all jobs.
Applying takes 4 simple steps. We don’t anticipate any issues but if you have any please email firstname.lastname@example.org