Chief Technologist — BiologicsApply Now
CPI helps make great ideas and inventions a reality. We’re a team of intelligent people using advances in science and technology to solve the biggest global challenges in healthcare and sustainability.
Through our incredible people and innovation infrastructure, we collaborate with our partners in industry, academia, government, and the investment community to accelerate the development and commercialisation of innovative products.
From health technologies and pharmaceuticals to sustainable food and materials innovations, we turn the entrepreneurial spirit and radical thinking of our people and partners into incredible impact that makes our world a better place.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Chief Technologist to join the Biologics team at CPI in Darlington.
The state-of-the-art Biologics and RNA manufacturing facility in Darlington is a key part of CPI’s organisation, housing a wide range of scientists and engineers tasked with innovating, de-risking and delivering a broad spectrum of novel biological medicines in the UK.
You will be joining a lively, enthusiastic and friendly team supporting the scientists and managers on site working on a variety of biologic formats, from antibodies to viral vectors and RNA, leveraging your process expertise to deliver the best outcome for our partners. You will have the opportunity to develop your experience and career in a stimulating and forward looking environment.
Reporting into the Director of Biologics & RNA Centre of Excellence, you will be a recognised subject matter expert (both internally and externally) for Biologics, providing deep technical capability that enables the development of CPI’s scientific knowledge, capability and practice and contributes to the realisation of our innovation project objectives.
You will use your expert knowledge to inform CPI’s technology strategy and translate this into deliverable plans to achieve business objectives.
You will also be expected to:
- Assess the technical and commercial viability, value, risk and reward of new business opportunities.
- Build CPI’s capability base by identifying and developing potential through coaching and motivating our key talent.
- Anticipate, seek and select new technology developments and assess new areas for capability building.
We are looking for someone that can be radically inquisitive with an entrepreneurial mindset that values new ideas thus ensuring that CPI delivers innovation for our people, planet and partnerships.
The successful candidate will help create and lead a culture of thoughtful innovation and empowerment of radical thinking to develop our teams in alignment with CPI strategy and project deliverables.
In addition to the above, some key responsibilities include:
- Develop and retain relevant knowledge and capability to support CPI in the translation of innovative ideas into commercially viable processes and products.
- Act as a mentor CPI colleagues and people in partner organisations, building collaborative knowledge sharing relationships.
- Partner with Grant Bid Development teams, providing insight and expertise to bid creation.
- Formulate and present technology solutions to complex applications using deep technical knowledge.
- Analyse, interpret and report impact and translate data into commercially relevant information.
- Demonstrate best practice in knowledge management.
- To build and influence a value adding network of relevant external stakeholders.
- To represent CPI as a domain knowledge technical expert in industrial and academic forums to add to the body of UK technology knowledge and capability.
The person we are seeking
You should have at least one of the following in a relevant, technical discipline:
- HNC / Foundation degree plus significant and in-depth industrial experience of operating at an expert level.
- Degree level qualification plus significant experience of operating at an expert level.
- Master plus significant and in-depth experience of operating at an expert level.
- PhD /CEng / FIChemE plus experience of operating at an expert level.
You will be known and respected in the Biopharma Ecosystem within the UK and will have some experience working with key stakeholders outside of your current organisation (i.e., academics, industrial partners, funding bodies, regulatory bodies).
It would advantageous for you to have significant experience working in a biopharmaceutical environment as well as a strong technical biopharma background (upstream, downstream and analytical).
Experience of commercialisation of pharma products and of pharma R&D and/or Manufacturing would be desirable.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 36 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.