Placement Students (Biochemistry)Apply Now
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
CPI have exciting opportunities available for 3 Biochemistry students to join us to support various crucial and exciting projects, within which you could help CPI to solve some of the biggest challenges the industry face. One position is available within each of the teams below, each opportunity providing an in-depth exposure to Biochemistry at work within the team that you apply for. One position is available within each of the teams below giving you in depth exposure to Biochemistry at work in the team you apply for (make note on your cover letter which team(s) you would be interested in working for).
- Biologics development (Darlington) – as a placement student working in biologics development, you will be involved in either upstream, downstream or analytical development for biopharmaceutical manufacture. The upstream team works on the optimisation of culturing different organisms to produce a variety of biomolecules. Using state of the art equipment, culturing conditions are screened and defined to enable scale up to 200 litres for microbial and mammalian expression systems. Downstream processing at CPI begins at the harvest stage including primary recovery, clarification, and chromatography techniques to get highly purified products for our customers. The analytical team are integral throughout the development of both upstream and downstream processes as well as ensuring the products meet quality criteria through a wide range of state-of-the-art equipment readily available for analysing the variety of products we work with. No matter which team you work in you will be exposed to a wide range of techniques and gain experience of working in multidisciplinary teams at the forefront of technology.
- Microbiology (Wilton) — as a placement student within the microbiology team, you will be supporting the development of innovative biotechnological approaches. You will gain exposure to support all projects that come through the business unit, working closely with colleagues in the Agritech and Gas fermentation teams, host strain characterisation and downstream processing as well as the scale-up teams. You will have the opportunity to develop both Laboratory skills and microbiology techniques as well as learning how molecular analysis techniques such as PCR, electrophoresis and sequencing are employed for helping our projects. You will also see how process and product monitoring is undertaken in both lab settings and plant processes and gain first-hand experience of working in those multidisciplinary teams to support exciting commercial and internal projects.
Each position is fixed term for 12 months from July 2022, working 37 hours per week (Monday — Friday).
The person we are seeking
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who are currently studying a degree in Biochemistry/Biological Sciences/Chemistry/Biomedical Sciences/Microbiology or other related subject.
Applicants should be enthusiastic, have effective interpersonal skills and be willing to learn to gain hands on/practical experience. The ideal candidates will be committed to, and actively seek opportunities to develop themselves within these new and exciting roles.
These positions would suit students whose course includes a sandwich year in industry, or those able to take a placement opportunity in industry between academic years.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
The closing date is Sunday 3 October. Shortlisting will take place during October.
Interviews are expected to be held w/c 8 and/or w/c 15 November.
If you wish to apply for a position, please submit your Cover Letter and CV through this careers page, ensuring to make it clear which team you wish to apply for on your Cover Letter.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.