Placement Students (Biological Sciences, Biotechnology or Biochemical Engineering)Apply Now
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
CPI have exciting opportunities available for 5 Biological Sciences / Biotechnology / Biochemical Engineering students to join us to support various crucial and exciting projects — through the development of innovative biotechnological approaches and processes you could help CPI to solve some of the biggest challenges the industry face. You will have the opportunity to be involved in many varied and exciting projects (from lab scale right through to pilot scale) using industrial bioprocesses to help make products which are more sustainable and environmentally responsible. One position is available within each of the teams below giving you in depth exposure to Biochemical Engineering at work in the team you apply for (make note on your cover letter which team(s) you would be interested in working for).
Due to CPI’s collaborative nature, although the opportunities vary, each will provide you with experience of working across multidisciplinary teams within the Biotechnology business unit, supporting colleagues on activities within the microbiology, host strain, downstream, fermentation, and scale-up teams to support both commercial and internal projects. Your contributions in any of these roles will help CPI support the UK in achieving its Net Zero targets and make the world a healthier place!
- Downstream Processing (DSP) — within the downstream processing team, you will gain experience in optimising separation and purification techniques to produce healthcare ingredients, enzymes, biological agriculture products, and novel food ingredients. You will have the opportunity to apply DSP for the development and purification of new products; develop lab-scale DSP processes; develop the appropriate analytical protocols for process and product monitoring.
- Agritech / Sugar Fermentation - within the Agritech/Sugar fermentation team you will gain experience and exposure to the development of new bioprocesses to produce platform bio-chemicals, biofertilizers, enzymes and novel food ingredients. You will have the opportunity to use high throughput technologies to develop lab-scale fermentation processes and biochemical assays for process and product monitoring.
- Plant Operations — within the plant team you will help support several other businesses to develop and scale-up their technology in areas such as novel food proteins (think Impossible Burger) and alternative technologies for agriculture (e.g., displacing fertilisers and pesticides/herbicides). You will gain experience providing technical support (typically including preparation, development, research, design, sampling, testing and analysis work) as well as assisting in the planning and conducting of chemical and bio-chemical synthesis operation across the range of scale of assets operated by CPI.
- Host Strain Characterisation - within the host strain development team you will gain exposure to new microbial strains and processes to produce platform chemicals, enzymes, and novel food ingredients. You will have the opportunity to apply molecular biology approaches for the development of new strains; develop lab-scale fermentation processes; develop biochemical assays for process and product monitoring.
- Food and Feed / Gas Fermentation — within the food and feed/gas fermentation team you will gain exposure to the development of new bioprocesses to produce food and feed, biochemicals, enzymes and novel food ingredients. You will have the opportunity to develop lab-scale fermentation processes.
Each position is fixed term for 12 months from July 2022, working 37 hours per week (Monday — Friday).
The person we are seeking
The ideal candidates will be studying towards a Degree in Biological Sciences / Biotechnology / Biochemical Engineering/Biochemistry or a related field and ideally have some working experience in a microbiological lab / molecular biology lab / analytical lab / chemistry lab.
Relevant experience; microbial cultivation in flasks and ideally in bioreactors; measurement of growth parameters of a microbial cultures (e.g., dry cell weight and optical density); microscopy; good laboratory practise; enzyme assays; ability to identify contaminations in a bacterial culture; washing glassware and plasticware; ability to diligently perform often repetitive tasks; maintain accurate and up-to-date records; write up research findings and produce reports.
Applicants should be enthusiastic, have effective interpersonal skills and be willing to learn to gain hands on/practical experience. The ideal candidates will be committed to, and actively seek opportunities to develop themselves within these new and exciting roles.
These positions would suit students whose course includes a sandwich year in industry, or those able to take a placement opportunity in industry between academic years.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
The closing date is Sunday 3 October. Shortlisting will take place during October.
Interviews are expected to be held w/c 8 and/or w/c 15 November.
If you wish to apply for a position, please submit your Cover Letter and CV through this careers page, ensuring to make it clear which team you wish to apply for on your Cover Letter.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.