Principal Engineer — Battery MaterialsApply Now
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Process Engineer to join the Formulation business unit at CPI and contribute to our rapidly growing battery materials capability. The successful candidate will be instrumental in delivering a range of innovation projects for customers, particularly in the area of battery materials, technology and processing.
You will join a fast-paced, dynamic innovation environment, and work with colleagues to solve technical challenges for a range of clients. You will have excellent technical problem-solving skills while being a strong communicator able to convey complex technical concepts effectively to customers and senior managers.
We are looking for someone who possesses the experience and technical expertise in unit operations typically associated with battery manufacture such as dry powder handling and mixing, slurry handling and mixing, substrate coating and drying. This experience will be gained ideally from working directly in or closely with a battery manufacturing environment in a process engineering or process development role. The person will also have a strong track record of technical problem solving and possess excellent communication and collaboration skills as the role will involve working with a broad range of internal and external partners.
The Principal Engineer – Battery Materials will act as a credible technical expert for the organisation, drawing upon a broad range of technical know-how to provide technical expertise and advice to a range of stakeholders, to inform technical strategy and direction. Will be a recognised industry expert in Process Engineering, as well as having broader technical knowledge and capability, and the ability to apply in a variety of contexts.
We are looking for an individual who possess significant, technical expertise in Process Engineering, as well as compelling evidence of complex technical problem-solving. Who will be responsible for providing high-level technical expertise and leadership in order to deliver large scale/complex projects and develop business-unit level knowledge and practice.
- To provide technical expertise and guidance in projects involving the process development, design and scale-up of Batteries and Battery materials.
- To be responsible for the operation, maintenance and development of equipment and processes used in the area of Battery Materials, Technology and Processing,
- To be in a position to provide technical leadership in projects involving battery material development immediately on starting this role or building towards this responsibility very early in the role
- To maintain consistent and documented compliance with all relevant Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE), quality and best practice requirements.
- To keep self up to date with developments in areas relevant to the role, and/or legislative and SHE related changes as communicated by senior colleagues, ensuring understanding of these and any associated new best practices, methods or techniques.
- To present and formally report experimental conclusions and supporting data for internal peer review and submission to clients, to agreed timescales and standards.
- To actively engage in hazard studies / SRA studies and discussions, as appropriate to role level.
- To set up, plan and execute experimental runs and analyse, interpret and report the results of these within agreed timescales and quality standards, and in accordance with project/client requirements.
- To be responsible for providing clearly documented records of technical data, decisions, methodologies, calculations and software use in an agreed format.
- To take ownership in agreeing to weekly work plans with line manager, project manager(s) and other relevant stakeholders, and delivering the plan to the agreed schedule.
- To be responsible for the maintenance and calibration of equipment to ensure it operates in a safe and efficient manner and is available to meet customer needs.
- To take responsibility for general housekeeping of technical areas, to contribute to a safe and healthy workplace.
The person we are seeking
Educated to Masters Degree or PHD level (or equivalent) in a Scientific/Engineering discipline plus significant and in-depth industrial experience at a senior level
Professional mastery of fundamental process engineering principles and of good process engineering working practices gained through a career in process engineering, which can be transferred into new and potentially novel process situations.
Demonstrate evidence of building cross-industry and organisational knowledge sharing and network building. Can provide examples of actively building cross-organisation collaboration to achieve desired results.
Can take responsibility for diverse and/or complex and/or novel technical activities where it is necessary to use own initiative and judgement, implementing innovative solutions in business-critical situations.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
This role is partially funded by the European Regional Development Fund 2014 – 2020.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.