Team Leader — AnalyticalApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
With a growth in the business driven through an expansion of service offering and demand for process development services, we are seeking a Team Leader within the Analytical Development Team based at our CPI Biologics site, Darlington, to support clients and partners developing processes and manufacturing solutions for their products. The purpose of the role is to contribute to the research, design, development and optimisation of novel manufacturing processes for biological products and their associated analytical methods. Working at CPI you will be developing expertise with a breadth of conventional and novel product types including proteins, virus-like particles, viral vectors and nucleic-acids (DNA & mRNA) expressed in mammalian, microbial and cell free/synthetic systems, in batch and continuous systems.
Duties of the role will include
- Supervising a team of analytical scientists, ensuring delivery of departmental goals, through appropriate delegation and providing feedback and motivation to team members. This includes providing first-line management support, allocation of resource to ensure project delivery and short-term planning of deliverables.
- Designing, verifying and performing analytical methods for the characterisation of biopharmaceutical in-process and final drug products.
- Providing training, mentoring and supervision to other members of the team.
- Identifying new technical developments and trends, translate these into building blocks for opportunities within the business unit, initiating the creation of technological innovations and applications.
- Building, maintaining and exploiting a network of relevant external stakeholders, customers, partners, research organisations and authorities, to represent the business unit and self as a credible expert, identifying opportunity for future projects and developments.
- Working collaboratively with business unit colleagues to contribute to proposal / project development and direct customer engagement. Seek out and engage in business development opportunities where appropriate.
- Maintaining consistent and documented compliance with all relevant Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE), quality and best practice requirements.
The person we are seeking
Candidates will be educated to at least Degree level in a life science or closely related subject and will have significant relevant experience in analytical methodology design, development and qualification, with knowledge and practice of some of the following assays including but not limited to: HPLC and UHPLC, gel and capillary electrophoresis, immunoassays (ELISA, Western blotting etc.), spectrophotometry, qPCR, mass spectrometry, biophysical techniques (particle counting and morphology), next-generation sequencing, flow cytometry. Team leadership/management experience would also be highly desirable, along with a track record of leading teams and/or projects.
The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys the challenge of working in a continually changing environment, dealing with and managing uncertainty, constantly learning new technologies and processes whilst leading an effective team of scientists. They ideally have knowledge of bioprocessing industry and cGMP concepts, have strong problem-solving skills and are keen to develop people within their team.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.