Business Unit Programme ManagerApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
The Centre for Process Innovation handles many projects of varying scale and scope, both commercial and public funded. The person will be required to take overall accountability for all business unit projects and deliver these successfully to meet time, quality and cost targets, realising measurable benefits and thereby ensuring satisfied customers and providing a foundation for repeat business. You will work collaboratively with the Business Unit Director for Electronics and Photonics to ensure the delivery of the E&P programme of projects. As well as providing a conduit expressly from within the assigned business unit to provide operational support to ensure strategic objectives can be met. You must demonstrate integrity and leadership setting the example for other Project Managers who they would seek to develop, motivate and mentor.
The E&P programme contains both commercial and grant funded projects, we have over fifteen years’ experience developing functional printed electronic devices over a broad range of technologies from thin film transistors for display backplanes, to flexible sensor systems and large area electromagnetic detection arrays. By utilising our world-class facilities for scale up and commercialisation, we help collaborators manufacture printed electronics components and devices for feasibility, prototyping and up-to market seeding volumes.
The addition of the Photonics capability has led to a number of opportunities primarily in the med tech area, which could lead to a new generation of therapies using light. An early case study details how the team aided the development of a next generation skin and oral cancer treatment using phototherapeutic methods.
The programme of projects contains everything from early stage materials development with fast moving SME’s and universities to cutting edge prototype and early stage manufacturing runs with large multinational companies and everything in between.
The person we are seeking
We are looking for an individual who:
- Has strong leadership skills who is passionate about developing their team and providing opportunities to allow them to flourish
- Has exceptional stakeholder management skills who has experience of working with multi-disciplined teams and can build strong rapport with senior clients and stakeholders
- Will be able to demonstrate a technical background with experience of managing multiple complex project-based activities.
- Be adept at managing and mitigating risk and have prior knowledge of programme management best practice.
- Financially adept; understand the concepts of budget control and is experienced in financial reporting (cost of sales, revenue, etc.) and is versed in using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint to communicate.
- Managed projects using Microsoft Project.
- Possess strong business acumen to be able to understand the business need for each project within the programme(s) and make on-going decisions based on what’s best for the organisation — even if that means challenging senior stakeholders on critical success factors.
It is essential that the successful candidate meets both of the below criteria:
- Experience in leading and managing a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience in the adoption and management of best practice Project Management techniques.
- Educated to Degree level (or equivalent) in a Scientific, Engineering or Business discipline. OR a Project Manager qualification such as APM Project Management Qualification (PMQ)
It is desirable that the candidate has:
- The management of projects within a dynamic R&D environment business during a period of growth, developing and supporting financial and project process.
Experience of the requirements and reporting needs of public and private projects
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
12 Months fixed term
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.