Senior or Principal Process Engineer – Process TechnologyApply Now
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
CPI has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Process Engineer to join the Process Technology team. You will apply your knowledge and skills gained throughout your career to lead development of new and often novel processes and technologies across a range of industries. At both role levels, you will be responsible for creating solutions to novel problems, surrounded by a team of experts and with training provided as required.
The Process Technology team, winners of the 2020 IChemE Team Global Award, provides Process Engineering expertise within the Formulation Business Unit and across CPI. We cover all aspects of Process Engineering, from working with colleagues to generate lab data and so create early-stage plant design, to early-stage concept studies and technology risk assessments, to developing and optimising pilot plants, to trouble shooting and design of large scale commercial plant. There is a growing focus on sustainability. Because of the range of projects and clients, from pre-start up to SMEs to multi-national organisations, your day-to-day work will be constantly changing and will have a variety that few other roles can match.
Duties of the role will include:
- Providing Process Engineering expertise to identify, develop and lead delivery of large scale / complex projects
- Acting as a technical expert for the organisation, to develop a broad range of technical know-how and to provide advice and solutions to a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Working within a multi-disciplined team of engineers, scientists and physicists to develop new processes and technologies across a range of industries.
At CPI, projects can range in size from providing consultancy to early-stage developments for SMEs to undertaking process optimisation and design work for large multinational companies, with many of the projects involving developing new technologies not previously existing at commercial scale. To give some examples, in the last two years the Process Technology team have worked on the following projects:
- Designing, with a future remit to installing and running, a GMP-compliant process that can produce millions of doses of a new and novel vaccine
- Designing, running and optimising a new continuous graphene oxide purification process at lab scale and producing a pre-front-end process engineering design (pre-FEED) package for commercial scale plant
- Developing and designing a large-scale continuous powder handling system for an animal feed manufacturer
- Developing a continuous emulsification process for a medical equipment manufacturing company
- Completing a preliminary process design and economic assessment for a process to produce new battery material
- Completing a technology scale-up assessment for first-in-world MDF recycling process that uses new reactor technology
- Completing a technology scale-up assessment and advising the customer on the development of a new air cleaning technology
You can meet the current Process Technology team here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruU4BDMrrQ
The person we are seeking
Candidates will be educated to at least Degree level in Chemical Engineering or a closely related subject and preferably hold IChemE Chartership. Candidates will have significant relevant experience, preferably within a range of process industries. Candidates will be able to effectively use Microsoft packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys the challenge of working in a continually changing environment, dealing with and managing uncertainty, constantly learning new technologies and processes, using their technical knowledge to solve new and complex problems, and adapts to new ways of working. Previous LCA experience is an advantage but not essential. Your role level will depend largely on your previous industrial experience.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 36 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
Part-time working will be considered for this role.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.