Degree Level Apprentice – Lab TechnicianApply Now
CPI in a nutshell
At CPI we work with our partners to translate inventions into products and processes that enhance health and well-being, protect and improve our environment and increase productivity across industries.
With a deep understanding of innovation processes and funding, outstanding technical expertise and industry relevant assets, we enable products and processes to be quickly and cost-effectively brought to market. This supports the development of next-generation manufacturing, highly-skilled jobs and economic growth for the UK.
Our partners operate across many diverse markets including pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals, food and drink, electronics and transportation.
Why this role is important for CPI’s work
The Centre for Process Innovation is offering exciting opportunities to be part of our science apprenticeship programme. The role is designed to equip you with the skills you need to tackle a variety of scientific challenges alongside working with state-of-the-art facilities, with the industry’s leading scientists, engineers, and commercialisation specialists.
You will be responsible for supporting laboratory operations to enable fellow scientists to focus on the design and technical delivery of projects. Duties of the role include:
- Prepare for and perform laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods of relevance to the activities of the laboratory.
- Work autonomously to analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific data and present the results of laboratory work and problem solving clearly and concisely in written and oral form.
- Supporting the maintenance of cGMP manufacturing suites and equipment at CPI Biologics
Participating with all cGMP production manufacturing operations on site
What will this apprenticeship offer me?
We are offering the opportunity to study as a Laboratory Scientist Apprentice where you will develop professional-level, job specific skills while studying towards your degree and earning a salary. Incorporated into this is our Professional Skills Development Programme, giving you the opportunity to work alongside others within CPI towards achieving specific targets on a social action project.
By the end of the programme, you will achieve a BSc Applied Science (Biotechnology) degree and a Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship Certificate through Newcastle College.
The person we are seeking
We are looking for a number of self-motivated, reliable candidates who can organise workload to meet both departmental objectives and learning outcomes. The successful candidates will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be able to manage time effectively. It is important that the successful candidates can take responsibility for personal development, demonstrating commitment to learning and self-improvement. The candidates will also have experience of IT packages, in particular Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience working within a laboratory environment in a multi-disciplinary team is an advantage.
To be eligible for our degree level apprenticeship programme you will need:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs grade 9 – 4 (equivalent to A*-C), including English Language, Mathematics and a Scientific Subject.
- Must hold or be predicted to achieve 3 A‑levels (or equivalent e.g. BTEC National Certificate or level 3 apprenticeship), one of which must be in a scientific subject.
What does CPI offer you?
At CPI, we offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, this includes:
- Up to 33 days holiday, including bank holidays – Plus a holiday purchasing scheme
- Generous pension scheme
- Life assurance and accident insurance schemes
- Flexible working
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Free parking
Find out more about our culture and benefits.
This fixed Term (for up to five years) role includes a degree level Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship and progressive salary increments every 6 months, subject to achieving set milestones and demonstrating progress.
CPI is an organisation based in the UK. Commencement of employment is conditional to demonstrating right to work in the UK, sponsorship may be available.